Monday, October 4, 2010

Infinity room by Yakoi Kusama

Fireflies on the Water by Yayoi Kusama, 2002 9'7" * 12' * 12', Whitney Museum of American Art, New York.

This work of art consists of a small room with mirrors on all sides, a pool in the center and 150 small lights hanging from the ceiling. In fact, once you entered the room by yourself (it is the wish of the artist) you're surrounded by all these lights and it looks like there are hundreds and hundreds of them between the reflection of the water and the different mirrors. The entire work brings into being an impression of thousands and thosuands of ligthing bugs flying above the water at night. There are so many of them that it actually looks like they are in movement.
http://www.mediavr.com/infinityroom2.htm

The artist created this room as an escape for the mind, as a way for humans to be transported out of our world, to live an unforgettable experience in a place out of space. Indeed, Yakoi Kusama wants the viewer to enter the room alone and to enjoy this experience by himself/herself and then share the emotions that it awoke in him/her with other people, once out of ther room. Her purpose has alwasy been to represent infinity and to share the feelings that living infinity brings in us, what uncredible senses it reveals in us and how it brings our imagination to live. Yakoi Kusama created with her work a whole new world, and revealed to us the power that exists inside of us, the one of our minds.

In Fireflies I knew above and underneath. I was them. Yet... upon entering, one was walking on a platform. It was shorter and wider than a diving board, but I feared that if the platform weren't strong enough or if I lost my balance, I'd be plummeting into infinity. I felt risk and longing, even though I also felt at one with the space, embraced by the gorgeousness that literally reflected me in a mirror facing the door. Here was bliss, the union of Energy and Consciousness. I didn't want to leave. And the piece haunts me.

Title: Vaginal Aesthetics
Author(s): Joanna Frueh
Source: Hypatia, Vol. 18, No. 4, Women, Art, and Aesthetics (Autumn - Winter, 2003), pp. 137-158

No comments:

Post a Comment